FAQ: Everything You Need to Know About Gelish PolyGel
At Nayld, we are mega fans of PolyGel. Bred by one of our favourite brands in the biz - Harmony Gelish's PolyGel combines the benefits of both acrylic and hard gel. PolyGel starts off with a gum-like texture that easily moulds (brushes) onto nails with ultra flexibility! The product hardens only once cured under UV/LED lights. Once hardened, your new nails will be amazingly durable while staying lightweight and comfortable! You can rock your natural feeling nails for up to 21 days! Sound too good to be true? We assure you, this technology is totally do-able at home!
We've put together some of the most frequently asked questions about this killer system, to help you achieve your perfect PolyGel experience.
Q: Squeeze, Slice, Roll, sounds simple enough. Could you go through the step-by-step application?
A: Gelish's PolyGel is an amazing product with an undeniably user-friendly application process. To make sure you create the enhancements of your wildest nail dreams, follow the steps below:
- Shape the natural nail using a 180 grit nail file
- Gently buff your nail to remove shine Wipe the nail to remove dust using Nail Surface Cleanse
- Apply a thin layer of PH Bond to the nail plate Finish with a thin layer of Foundation Base Coat
SQUEEZE + SLICE + ROLL
- Squeeze a pea-sized amount of PolyGel out of the tube Using your Slice & Shape Tool, slice the gel onto your multi-purpose tool
- Roll the product onto the nail, placing at the base of the nail towards the cuticle
SMOOTH + SCULPT
- Place a small amount of PolyGel Slip Solution in a dappen dish
- Using the brush side of your Slice & Shape tool, pat the product into place, smoothing and flattening to match the shape of your natural nail
- Repeat the process on all 10 nails
- Cure your nails for 30 seconds under the 18G LED Light File and shape the nails with a 180 grit nail file, Cleanse with Nail Surface Cleanse
- Apply a thin coat of Top It Off top coat and cure for 30 seconds, cleanse with Nail Surface Cleanse Finish with Nourish Cuticle Oil
Q: What type of nail system can I use with PolyGel? Can I use nail polish, gel polish or both?
A: One of the things we love most about this product is its adaptability. You can absolutely use either gel or traditional polish over top of PolyGel. If you want the flexibility of making regular colour changes, opt for traditional polish. After your PolyGel application, apply a layer of Top it Off Top Coat BEFORE applying two coats of your favourite nail polish. Using a non-acetone nail polish remover, you can easily change your nail colour without compromising your PolyGel enhancement. If you prefer to use gel polish, simply apply two coats of your chosen colour directly on top of your PolyGel enhancement, curing in between each layer. Seal the deal with a layer of Top it Off Top Coat. PolyGel can also totally be worn on its own! Cover Pink and Bright White provide a beautiful opaque finish while Natural Clear, Dark Pink and Light Pink provide a subtle sheer coverage.
Q: How do I remove PolyGel?
A: PolyGel was designed for a file off removal. Its unique TriPolymer Technology is light and durable, while still remaining pliable, allowing for a quick break down during removal. Simply follow these steps for when it comes time to remove your PolyGel nails: Using a 180 grit file, file off the majority of the product, reducing the length of the enhancement if needed, DO NOT file the natural nail Using a 100/180 buffer, buff down the enhancement to leave only a thin layer on the nail Using a 220/280 buffer, lightly buff and blend the remaining enhancement into the natural nail Cleanse with Nail Surface Cleanse and finish with Nourish Cuticle Oil
Q: I want longer nails. Can I sculpt an extension with PolyGel?
A: You absolutely can! Consider PolyGel your partner in crime for sculpting long durable nail enhancements. If you'd like a visual on how to sculpt a nail bed extension with PolyGel, check out the video to the left by Nails Mag. Harmony Gelish founder Danny Haile shows you how to sculpt a french nail with a nail bed extension.
Q: I like to wear nail tips. Can I use PolyGel over top?
A: PolyGel can indeed be worn over top of nail tips. All you have to do is make sure you opt for clear nail tips for best results! Simply apply PolyGel Our team at Nayld loves using PolyGel and we're confident that you will too! Feel free to get in touch with our team of nail experts if you have any other questions regarding PolyGel nails!