Magic Manicure: How to Score Hypnotic Nails!
What does magic mean to you? Wizards, witches, sorcerers, stage performers? Why not your nails! To say that our staff are nail obsessed would be an understatement! We're always on board with nail trends that shake the norm and steal the spotlight. Recently, the top nail trends have been nothing shy of magical! This week on Beauty HQ we're zooming in on two of today's hottest nail looks to break down the magic behind these mesmerising manicures!
Magic Trend - Chrome Nails
Ever wonder how you could score holographic nails like the stars? Ever felt envious of Kylie Jenner's chrome nails? Time to try out your own holographic manicure with the help of OPI Chrome Effects! Think of Chrome Effects like painting metallic eyeshadow onto your nails. These highly pigmented glitter powders come in 8 original shades to suit your style.
The best part about this bling? OPI chrome powders work over both traditional and gel polish. Whichever nail system or shade you prefer, you can create a custom look simply by layering on your choice of chrome powder. Versatility was built into this magical powder! Depending on your base polish shade, you can create countless chrome blends to suit your style of the moment!
If you're after a softer shimmer pick your favourite light or nude OPI shade to start! We recommend picking OPI white nail polish shade Alpine Snow as your base colour. Applying the chrome pigments over a light polish or gel polish creates a more subtle look for a classy magic manicure. If you're seeking a bolder ultra-bright look, choose your favourite dark shade of OPI polish as a base. We suggest OPI black nail polish shade Black Onyx. Applying Chrome Effects over a dark colour brings you a super high contrast look with ultimate rainbow-like shine.
- Apply 1 coat of Natural Nail Base Coat to properly prepped nails
- Apply 2 thin coats of Nail Lacquer shade of choice (Do NOT cap the free edge)
- Wait 2-3 minutes until nails are almost dry to the touch; still slightly tacky for the powder to attach (nail lacquer black onyx and alpine snow are recommended)
- Apply Chrome Effects Mirror-Shine Powder shade of choice using a sponge-tipped applicator Pick up a small amount with the applicator and pat the powder on before rubbing onto the surface of nail
- Use a cosmetic brush to dust off excess powder from the entire nail and the surrounding skin (focus on the cuticle area, particles are micro-fine and risk cross-contamination)
- Apply 1 thin coat of Chrome Effects Mirror-Shine Nail Lacquer Top Coat and wait 2-3 minutes to completely dry (a wet Top Coat will result in a cloudy finish
- Finish with 1 coat of Nail Lacquer Top Coat (DO cap the free edge)
- Apply 1 coat of GelColor Base Coat to a properly prepped nail (DO Cap the free edge) and cure for 30 seconds
- Apply 2 thin coats of GelColor shade of choice. (Do NOT cap the free edge) Cure each coat 30 seconds. (GelColor Black Onyx and Alpine Snow are recommended)
- Apply 1 coat of Chrome Effects No-Cleanse Top Coat (Do NOT cap the free edge, capping will create a ledge at the free edge) Cure for 30 seconds.
- Apply Chrome Effects Powder shade of choice using a sponge-tipped applicator Pick up a small amount with the applicator and rub onto the surface of the nail
- For proper Chrome Effects encapsulation, lightly swipe an EDGE 240 File against the free edge and sides of the nail
- Use a cosmetic brush to dust off excess powder from the entire nail and the surrounding skin. (focus on the cuticle area, particles are micro-fine and risk cross-contamination)
- Apply 1 coat of Chrome Effects No-Cleanse Top Coat (DO cap the free edge) Cure 30 seconds.